Thursday, March 20, 2008

Captain Blight Tries to Quell the Mutiny on the Blogosphere

Though not much ink had been spilled in mainstream media, there have been reams of bits and bites scattered over the blogosphere regarding the upcoming cross-examination of CHRC staffers and associates in the matter of Warman v. Lemire on March 25, 2008. See Jay Currie's remarks here, Ezra Levant's discussion here, and Mark Steyn here and here.

My gut feeling, and this should go without saying, is that justice must not just be done, it must be seen to be done. Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen one on TV. I'm sure that in camera hearings have their place in the Canadian justice system, but I would have to imagine that these are appropriate only in the most exceptional or extraordinary of circumstances. The erosion of public trust in the administration of HRCs will not be shored up by sealed hearings behind closed doors. And I'm not sure that a video feed in an ante-room is a good substitute for open-door attendance. This summer, many people might watch live coverage of the Olympic Games. That's not the same thing as being in Beijing.

No comments: