Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's Funny Because There's a Monkey

So like us.

While president Rupiah Banda of Zambia was holding a press conference outside the presidential palace a monkey befouled his jacket.

"You (monkey) have urinated on my jacket," Banda softly sneered at the monkey.


I know nothing of president Banda. But I do know that this is pretty damned funny. I also know that it's only funny because there's a monkey.

There are quite a few politicians, and several heads of quasi-judicial commissions, whose jackets I would gladly urinate on. But I'm sure they wouldn't think it was too damned funny. Because I'm not a monkey.

***

Post script. A few weeks ago, at a Blue Jays game at Rogers Centre, a gull shat upon the shoulder of the fellow sitting directly in front of me. The guys in the row behind laughed out loud about this for several innings. If the gull had hit me, instead of the unfortunate chap in front of me, I suppose I wouldn't have found it to be too damned funny.

Unless, of course, it had been a monkey.

Ladies and Gentlemen -- Zambia's "pee-ved" President Banda.

No comments: