Friday, December 12, 2008

Signs, Signs, Everywhere the Signs



Estevan, Saskatchewan

You have no idea how hard it was to obey this sign.

For starters, the teenager attending the entrance kiosk might have thought of putting down the @#$%&@#$% vampire romance novel long enough to check us in, as we were clearly idling our car in front of her window. She wasn't a zoo exhibit; we didn't come to look at her in her self-absorbed part-time summer job habitat.

We asked for a site with electricity, explaining that we needed to recharge our laptop battery. We were driving a car, and that realization could not have escaped even the most self-absorbed of teenagers. These two facts are important. She complied with our request by assigning us to a camp site that only had an electrical hook-up for an RV. That's not the same thing as the grounded three-pronged outlet that we so clearly (and obviously) requested.

Before setting up the tent (not, I repeat, the RV), we thought we would check out the rest room facilities. THE HORROR!!! They looked like they hadn't been cleaned all week. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that in the men's room there was soiled toilet paper strewn all over the floor, and a couple of the fixtures were rusting out. I decided I could wait. Estevan was less than 10 minutes away by car (I stress, not RV).

And I have to imagine that the very fact that they have such a sign posted in the window of the kiosk indicates that others have not been so restrained as we were (and I suspect for good reason).

No comments: